11 September 2005

football season is over


I'm having one of those days where the juices are really flowing, art-wise, and yet it's totally hard to blog about. If I had a show up, I could point you to the show, but all I can say for now is that I've got an idea forming. The idea is for an installation, to be called "Football Season Is Over," after the title of Hunter S. Thompson's apparent suicide note. It's a weird conflation of my thoughts about HST and my thoughts about Tiffany, and specifically her performance of the song, "I Think We're Alone Now." (Ok, ok, so there's a lot more to it, like football vs choir and masculinity/femininity in the south, cover songs vs cover stories, cassettes vs print/ written vs spoken word and HST's relationship to speech, gonzo fetishism, authorship and fame, yadda yadda... Would you like to read my manifesto?) Should I actually be given the space to do this (please, people, let's form one, orderly, single-file line), it would sort of look like Carrie's prom took place in her bedroom, if her bedroom was also the site of a low-fi Nightmare On Elm Street (cf Johnny_Depp!) dream sequence and Carrie was a pop music/TV-obsessed feminist in the making.... I don't want to say too much more about it, right now, except that it would include a music video with me singing to a midi interpretation of Tiff's song and the heavy use of sparkly materials, red liquids, and black markers--the writing utensil used in Thompson's eponymous note. Any takers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home