02 June 2007

music!



In case you haven't noticed, I have a slight interest in music. It's currently a big focus of my time, from researching historic uses of broadcast media in protest, for my dissertation (something I'll be doing a lot of at my upcoming Free103Point9 residency--more on that soon), to writing more about contemporary music--particularly musicians who address politics and/or merge recording, performing, and visual art. On that note, I'll point you to the new music issue of Planet Magazine, in which I wrote about Beirut. I've been writing about visual art for them for almost six years (and for the next issue I interviewed Olafur Eliasson), but it was fun to branch out.

I've also been recording a lot of music and collaborating with a lot of musicians & sounds artists, lately, in tandem with my research. Stay tuned for announcements about that. Meanwhile, I wanted to give a little summer music shout-out to some of my friends who are currently involved in a group of exciting simultaneous projects, around New York. If you're around, you might want to check out the ongoing New York Electronic Arts Festival and the upcoming NIME (New Interfaces for Musical Expression) conference & concert series.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr Woohoo! said...

/*
congrats on the opportunity to branch out and explore music from a critical perspective. i can't wait to see what your perspective is of beirut, especially in relation to his/their new stuff.
*/

woohoo!
drew

16:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home