23 January 2010

Long Time No Post

Hi, there. I'm way overdue on updates so below are notes on some recent & upcoming things.

SOLO SHOWS



Noise Pollution at Bard CCS - Sculpture, drawing, and installations, curated by Gene McHugh

Whew! Age at PS122 - PBS' Art21 had a nice preview of it

Double Bind - Berkeley Art Museum (Stay tuned for more details on this new two-channel video project.)

SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS



Drawing Contemporaries, at Eyebeam, NYC (video)

Saturn Returns (premiered at IMAGES Festival, Toronto) toured to Galerie Saw (Ottowa, Canada), and featured me (obvs!), Michael Bell-Smith, Jacob Ciocci, Oliver Laric, Takeshi Murata, Seth Price, and others, curated by Brett Kashmere

X: Multiples, at Christina Ray Gallery, NYC (nee Glowlab)



NETMARES & NETDREAMS v 2.2, curated by Kari Altmann - There was a beach theme and I showed my Facebook-inspired video, Unlocking My Sandbox. (Originally a javascript animation!)


You Turn Me On and On and On, EMBASSY Gallery, Edinburgh - A show of artists' instructions for future works.

Surfing Club, Plug-In (Basel) and Espace Multimédia Gantner (Bourogne, France)

PUBLICATIONS


LACMA's book, Words Without Pictures, to which I contributed an essay entitled, "Lost Not Found: The Circulation of Images in Digital Visual Culture" has apparently sold out, thanks to nice reviews in Artforum, Art Journal, and several other Art-periodicals! A 2nd Edition of the book is being published by Aperture, for distribution by Thames and Hudson.


I wrote an article on "The Early Videos of Terry Fox," which is in the forthcoming book, The History of West Coast Video Art, published by University of California Press


ASDF's Wikipedia Reader was commissioned by the Art Libraries Society of New York for the Contemporary Artists Books Conference at Printed Matter's 2009 NY Art Book Fair. It was organized through David Senior at the Museum of Modern Art Library.

In other news...
According to the Wall Street Journal, I'm now a Walkman Historian!!! (Check-out Andy Jordan's article & video!)

I've also continued evangelizing about animated gifs, as in this Toronto Globe and Mail article.

TALKS



I was recently inducted into Project Blackbird, a semi-secret Internet Lulz Think Tank centered at the Eyebeam Center for Art & Technology, where fun things are always happening. On November 21st I moderated a PERFORMA 09 panel there, called Performing the Web, which featured net art pioneers JODI and fellow Project Blackbird members Jeff Crouse and Aaron Meyers.

I was also invited to speak at this CAA panel on The Culture of Dispersion

Please come to the CUNY Grad Center for the Humanities on March 17, when I'll be on a panel with Michael Mandiberg and Patrick Davison (1, 2), entitled Mashups, Memes, and HOWTOs: New Forms of Online Video. I'm actually quite excited about my talk, which introduces my research into the history, theory, art, and politics of Participation.

Also upcoming:
Alfred University - March 22*
University of New Mexico - March 26
Pacific Northwest College of Art - March 30
Brown University - April 15
School of the Art Institute of Chicago - April 28
Columbia College - April 29
Oberlin College - May 11-12**

* As artist in residence at Alfred's Institute for Electronic Arts
** My Oberlin visit is in collaboration between The Margin Release Series and the Exhibtion Studies initiative in the Cinema Studies Department.

And then this summer I'll be a visiting artist at Bard College's Milton Avery Graduate School of the Arts (aka the Summer MFA program), and I'll be teaching a class entitled Performance Objects at Ox-Bow.

Also, here are videos from an artist talk at DorkbotPDX, while I was an Artist-in-Residence at PNCA (Portland, OR), and a talk at the Sego Art Center (Provo, UT) on The Art of Conspicuous Consumption--which moves from Renaissance portraiture through Pro Surfer net art! :)

CURATORIAL



Lately I've been most excited about organizing performances, situations, discussions and other one-time events... I recently curated [the world premiere!] of Nao Bustamante's "filmformance," Silver & Gold, for Rhizome at the New Museum.

Keep your eyes out for videos of these events on Rhizome's Vimeo channel, where all New Silent events go to live forever--including the Craft Hackers and Experimental Geography programs I organized. Here's one from the panel I organized around the installment of the Unmonumental show that Lauren Cornell and I curated.

NEW JOB
(Drumroll, please....)



As you may know, I was teaching in the ITP Graduate Program at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts for a couple years. This year I took a new position as Assistant Professor of New Media at SUNY-Purchase. It's an exciting, expanding program and I'm already loving it. In addition to teaching classes in net art, video, performance, and visual theory, one of my first official duties was helping to organize the New Media Lecture Series at the Neuberger Museum of Art. I invited Oliver Laric and Marina Zurkow and Gabriella Coleman are speaking soon. There's also a great Tania Bruguera show up now... You should come see it and say hi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home